PROFILE OF COMMERCIALISATION DIVISION
In line with the implementation of government directive to commercialize, CSIR was tasked to generate a minimum of 30% of its budgetary needs through R&D Commercialisation. As a follow up to the establishment of Building and Road Research Institute under the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) (Act 521 of 1996), the Commercialization Division(CD) was established by the Institute to place a high premium on production, promotion, sales and commercial transfer of simple cost-effective technologies and advocacy to support the Ghanaian economy under the Guidelines for Research Commercialisation, 1996.
The Commercialization Division (CD) is sufficiently equipped to offer management proposals for a value-for-money provision of constructions works. It main activities include; the production of:
- Bricks and Cladding Tiles;
- Pavement Bricks and Floor Tiles;
- Raw Pozzolana Cement and PozzoMix Cement;
- Promotion and awareness creation to enhance the visibility of CSIR-BRRI Brand.
Functions of the Commercialisation Division
The Commercialisation Division of CSIR-BRRI plays the linkage role of promoting the Institute’s research outputs & products, consultancy services, hospitality services to private and commercial applications by clients across the country.
Mandate of the Division
The Mandate of the Division include but not limited to the following:
1. Construction Works for Commercial, Residential
2. Technology transfer in the establishment of Brick factories across the country;
3. Production of Pozzolana Cement
4. Technical Advisory services on Pozzolana cement applications in the area of Damp risE
The Division has three sections operating to achieve its mandate namely:
- Production Sections which comprise of (Pozzolana, Bricks &Tiles) Factories,
- Marketing Section and
- Construction Work Section.
The Brick& Tiles Factory produces various shapes and Sizes of Burnt Clay Bricks products such as Cladding Tiles, Solid Bricks, Hollow Bricks and Perforated Bricks which can be used for all construction purposes. The factory has a current production capacity of 100,000 pieces Bricks &Tiles per month.
The Pozzolana Factory is responsible for the production of Portland Pozzolana Cement from local building materials. The factory has a monthly production capacity of 5000 Bags of Pozzolana cement. It has product categories of:
- 50kg/bag Raw Pozzolana cement and
- 50kg/Bag PozzoMix branded cement suitable for all constructional works.
The Marketing Section of the Commercialisation Division is responsible for the promotion of the Institute’s products and services. The objective of section is to enhance of visibility for brand awareness through advertising, outreaches, workshops and conferences. The Section is responsible for the use of stickers, posters, design of seasonal cards, association with United Nations Days for the creation of branding and brand awareness BRRI Assets like institute’s vehicles, individual vehicles for staffs. The section liaises with technical divisions on business consultations for the sale products and services and their applications. It is responsible for the efficient handling of customer complaints. The section usually identifies potential customers for the utilization, distribution of products and services.
It uses the promotional tools such Website, and Social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook and then the Print Media like Banners, Posters, Flyers and Word-of –Mouth to promote the consultancy services and products and activities of BRRI:
- Built Environment Services
- Civil Engineering Laboratory Services
- Geomatic Engineering Services
- Geotechnical Materials Engineering Services
- Road Traffic and Transportation Services
- Spatial and Development Planning Services
- Rental Multi-Purpose Training Centre
- Facilitation of Training of Artisans, Engineers etc
- Sale of Construction Cost Indices
- Sale of Accident Statistics Data
- Sale of Pozzolana and PozzoMix Cement
- Sale of Burnt Clay Bricks
MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS OF COMMERCIALISATION DIVISION
- Construction of 500m Long Brick Fence Wall at Ayeduase site and Ahisan Estate site for Knust (2017-2018).
- Construction of 1No. Brick Wall at the office of Ghana Standards Authority in Accra (August, 2020-July, 2021).
- Construction of 1 No. office structure for office of Ghana Standards Authority (August, 2020-July, 2021).
- Construction of 1 No. office structure for office of Ghana Standards Authority in Takoradi (August, 2020-July, 2021).
- Construction of Brick Fence wall in Ghana Standards Authority Regional Office through Retainer Framework using Pozzolana and Brick Technology in Aflao(4Months).
- Construction of Brick Fence wall in Ghana Standards Authority Regional Office through Retainer Framework using Pozzolana and Brick Technology in Takoradi (5Months).
- Construction of Brick Fence wall in Ghana Standards Authority Regional Offices through Retainer Framework using Pozzolana and Brick Technology in Tamale (3Months).
- Construction of Brick Fence wall in Ghana Standards Authority Regional Offices through Retainer Framework using Pozzolana and Brick Technology Danyame- Kumasi (3Months).
- Main Distributors of Pozzolana cement in Ashanti and Accra.
- Among the Large producers of burnt clay bricks& Tiles