The Building and Road Research Institute (BRRI) is one of the 13 research Institutes of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Reserch (CSIR) , Ghana. The BRRI was established in 1952 as the West African Building Research Institute in Accra. With the attainment of political independence, (Nigeria in 1960 left), the Institute became known as Building Research Institute of the Ghana Academy of Sciences. In 1963 when the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) , Kumasi faced acute shortage of lecturers in architectural, engineering, planning, quantity surveying, etc., the then government of Ghana found it prudent to relocate the Institute to the KNUST campus.
This was to enable the Institute to offer its facilities and services of its research staff to support the University. In 1964 the Institute's mandate was expanded to include road research duties and hence its new name "THE BUILDING AND ROAD RESEARCH INSTITUTE, (BRRI). At the same time the BRRI was included in the KUMASI SCIENCE CITY DEVELOPMENT project under which all the then existing research Institutes in Kumasi namely, the BRRI, the Forestry Research Institute of Ghana (FORIG) and the Crops Research Institute (CRI) were to be relocated to the Science City Campus at Fumesua. In pursuance of this, the BRRI and for that matter, FORIG remained in temporary structures at KNUST campus, until January 1995 when the BRRI moved to its permanent offices at Fumesua.
A centre of excellence that offers a one stop service in the conduct of research, training and technology transfer in the construction and transportation sectors.
Mission Statement of the Institute
To promote the conduct of demand-driven and problem based research, provide training and technology transfer that links effectively to the socio-economic development of the country particularly the building, road and transport industry.